Kareena Kapoor: I am what I am because of my flops – Kareena kapoor

Friday, June 4, 2010

I am what I am because of my flops – Kareena kapoor

Kareena Kapoor

Kareena Kapoor tells Kunal M Shah that she would hate being known only for her looks and that being. A superstar is about overcoming failures and not just delivering hits…We met Kareena for a chat at Saif Ali Khan’s Bandra residence. Where she was beaming because of her newborn nephew and her week-long break to spend time with family. Kareena was surfing the net when we entered the tastefully done apartment. Saif left for some shopping. When the interview began and came back later for a casual chat. How is life now that you have become a maasi for the second time? Absolutely amazing. The baby boy (Kiaan) is really cute. Samaria looks so much like Sunjay (Kapur) but the newborn looks just like Karisma. It’s celebration time as the family has a boy after a long time. 3 Idiots has smashed all box-office records. And you have managed to hold yourground in an Aamir Khan film. Comment. I think it’s also because it is a Raju Hirani film. It’s the first time and Aamir and I starred together so there were a lot of expectations. I feel that I make the best pair with Aamir. You only did the film because of Aamir and Raju. In each of my films, good or bad, I have always stood out irrespective of the presence of other actors. I am doing Ra. One and I have fantastic roles in Agent Vinod and Golmaal 3. I have strived really hard to be known first as an actor then a star. I would hate it if someone tells me that I looked very good in my films and I hope that I am cast for my talent and not for my beauty. I am here to sell my talent and I take great pride when I am offered a role in a boys’ film like 3 Idiots. I think my audience no longer likes me in films like Kambakkth Ishq and honestly I have realised that I won’t make that mistake again. Kurbaan got good reviews but it didn’t work. An actor is an actor because of failures, not succes. A superstar is one who overcomes failures and people remember how good you are in a film, which has not worked. I am what I am because of my flops. Anybody can give two super hits and become number one. Is there a long thought process before signing a film now? Sometimes there is no thought process at all. We actors are like scientists who keep on experimenting. People should know that Kareena takes risks and I did Chameli when I was 23 years old. I don’t care about what people say about Tashan as I gave everything to the film by changing my body. How many actresses have the courage to take up the challenge of transforming themselves especially in this male dominated industry? Tashan was an achievement as I also met Saif during the film. Sometimes flop films and not hits is great news for actors. How do you mange to have a good equation with all the Khans? I have chosen the safest Khan for my personal life. I don’t know if there are any sides as all of them are really different. Saif and I are great friends with Aamir and Shah Rukh is like family. My sister loves Salman. It’s said that you are the highest paid actress in the industry today. Is it true? I don’t know. You tell me as every day there are reports that so and so is charging so much. If there is a list on highest paid actresses, I want to be number ten. But the rivalry is evident when it comes to endorsements. A brand will sign me if they think I am good. There are only three shampoos and three soaps in the market so where does the question of who is the most wanted actress arise? Everybody has brands to endorse. How do you manage to take frequent breaks given your busy schedule? I take lot of off time as it’s very important for an actor to work do great work and take breaks. I must spend time with family and my loved ones or else I will just wear off, I will die, and my looks will fade. I do four movies and 12 brands a year so I need to travel all over the world and explore, which also shows in my acting. I have instructed Zahid (secretary) that after every three months I need to have a break for at least a week to look rejuvenated. Although I appreciate people who want to work all year, I can’t do it. There is so much speculation about your and Saif’s relationship and wedding. Does it affect you? We have been open about our relationship and that’s why we are the hottest couple. If we get married now there will be no curiosity. We are enjoying all the attention and are used to news about us getting married and breaking up all the time. Whenever we get married, we will let the world will know. Are wedding bells five years down the line? It will be much lesser than that. (Laughs). News is that you are buying an IPL team with Saif? We did go for the bidding and we had all the papers in place but it got cancelled. If we are rebidding, it will be Saif’s call. I don’t understand cricket but Saif follows it. Movies are my only passion. There are reports that you and Saif are planning a joint production house? I want directors and producers to make films for me. I don’t want to make films for myself. Professionally we are dramatically different as I sign a film saying ‘let’s do it’ while Saif won’t do a film till he is 100 per cent sure. Are you doing Madhur Bhandarkar’s next film? I would love to work with Madhur. We are working on a script but nothing has been finalised yet. What about Milenge Milenge and the constant issues about Shahid Kapoor? These talks have resurfaced as Milenge Milenge will soon release. I have told Boney Kapoor (producer) that I am ready to promote the film. As for reports about Shahid and me, I am used to it.
Related Posts with Thumbnails